Get a Card
Applying for a library card is easy! You'll need current and valid ID with photo, name and address (driver's license / state identification card) and just a little bit of time to fill out a borrower's application. Minors will need a parent or legal guardian present to sign the application and be listed as the responsible party. Legal guardians must provide proof (via copy of court order).
Stay tuned for more.
Closures & Special Hours
|December 24, 2019||
December 25, 2019
|January 1, 2020||
|July 4, 2020||
|December 24, 2020||
|December 25, 2020||
The six members of the Library Board of Trustees are elected by voters residing in the Village of Deckerville.
Pursuant to statute, library board members are responsible for approving the expenditures of all funds credited to the Library, adopting an annual budget for the library, appointing a library director and setting policies regarding the use of the Library. The board also has the responsibility to see that adequate funding is provided and to adopt short and long-range plans for the library's future growth and development.
|Brian Kartanys||Vice President|
Pursuant to the Open Meetings Act, library board meetings are always open to the public and are held in the library at 7 p.m. - unless otherwise posted.
|2020 Board Meeting Schedule|
The building where the Deckerville Public Library is housed had a prior life as an Episcopal Church built in 1880. It was a prefabricated building that came by ship and then was transported via wagons to the present site.
In December of 1923 at the Women's Club meeting, a motion was made to establish a library for the village of Deckerville. Consequently, a meeting of the Board of Managers was held at the Farmer's State Bank of Deckerville on July 21, 1924. The meeting was called to order by the president, Mrs. George B. Forrester with eight members present. Mrs. Clement made a motion that the library be called "The Deckerville Public Library" and Mrs. McClusky seconded the motion. A corporation was formed with $326.31 in the treasury and Deckerville Public Library was officially formed.
The group voted and agreed to pay the Diocese of Michigan $250.00 for the Episcopal Church and the lot in which it sits. The Women's Club invited the Hypatian Club to join them in the establishment of the library. Together they worked at raising funds and by year's end they had 300 books for the library's collection.
The corporation lasted for a total of 21 years and then it was proposed that the library be turned over to the Village of Deckerville to be used for at least 25 years. At the November 5th Village Council meeting in 1945, the terms and conditions were accepted and on August 15, 1946 the library corporation was dissolved and thus the library became village property.
In 1966, the library underwent renovations and four years later, in 1970, the building's exterior was clad in white aluminum siding. Landscaping was added in 1972.
Eight years later, in 1980, an addition which was designed in the same style as the original church structure was built onto the east-side of the building. This addition nearly tripled the size of the library and allowed for the library's collection to significantly expand.
In 1999, Deckerville Public Library became fully automated with a computerized system. July of 2005, Deckerville Public Library went live on MeLCat and began participating in statewide interlibrary loan.
During August 2014, the library's carpeting was replaced which required the entire collection to be boxed up and the shelving units dismantled. The library reopened a week later with new carpeting and all of the books returned to the shelves. It was a BIG project, but thanks to a fabulous crew of volunteers, many hands made light work!
In May 2015, Deckerville Public Library went live with a new library management system (Apollo by Biblionix) which provides online access to the library's catalog and patron accounts.
No positions currently available.